Matthieu’s Wonderful Welsh Cakes
To celebrate St David’s Day, Matthieu will be showing us all how to make the zest of the zest orange and chocolate Welsh cakes from scratch.
Soft and crumbly with a cirtus kick, these teatime treats are a sweet Welsh staple, so what better way to salute the patron saint of Wales than a plate piled high with goregousely, golden brown goodies (oh and a big ole cuppa!)
So without further ado…show us how they’re made Matthieu!
For your batch of wonderful Welsh cakes, you’ll need:
- 250g flour
- 1g baking powder
- 85g sugar
- 1 egg
- 85g butter
- 25g milk
- 25g orange juice
- 100g chocolate chips
- 1 orange zest
Who is ready to pobwch?
- Firstly, mix your flour, sugar, salt, baking powder together.
- Then add your soft butter and mix with your hands until it develops a crumbly texture.
- Next add your egg, milk, orange juice and zest into the mix.
- Then work the mixture with your hands to form your dough.
- Add your chocolate chips and leave the dough to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes before rolling it out.
- Once rested, roll your dough to a 1cm thickness and then cut into even, circular shapes.
- On a low heat, warm a non-stick frying pan and add a tiny bit of oil to the bottom, then add your cakes and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then dust the top of your Welsh cake with sugar.
Then it’s time to tuck in. Mwynhau!
BACK TO BLOG